- Note: My rebuttal would be inserted in between paragraphs in a format like this.
RONALD OBIDOS said:
Topic: “Did Eli Soriano Fulfill the Prophecy of Isaiah 24:15?”
This is a reaction to an article written by Eli Soriano in his own blog “Truth In Focus” dated August 9, 2007. The article is titled “God-Inspired Prophecies About a Poor Nation and a Nobody Like Brother Eli”. I would like to take this opportunity to test Eli Soriano’s reliability on interpreting the Bible.
This is not a personal attack on Eli Soriano’s character and sincerity but a careful analysis of his teachings and how he misinterprets the Bible–so that readers will be more careful next time they read or hear him teaching.
- Your perspective of bro Elis interpretation is hypothetical in all instances unless, there is something you could do, to show the two sides of the coin in its integral form, where clearly your argument stands. Until then, your judgment on bro Elis teaching is bias and self serving. It could be true or not, but respecting your right of expression, I want to show you the other side of the coin missing in your “careful” but incomprehensive analysis. The other side which nullifies any grain of truth in your hypothetical bonanza…I promise, I’ll demolish your rubbish stronghold….)
I am just following the wise counsel in Acts 17:11 regarding the believers in Berea: “The people there were more open-minded than the people in Thessalonica. They listened to the message with great eagerness, and every day they studied the Scriptures to see if what Paul said was really true.” (Act 17:11 GNB).
So in application of this passage, we will study the Scripture itself to see if what Eli Soriano teaches is in line with what really the Bible says.
- Many of your kind, the blind leaders, are not the authority in that matter, THE TRUE CHURCH IS, but the church never claimed infallibity or no impurities, thus if ever you see what seem an error to you, it doesn’t necessarily nullifies our religion or falsify it a bit.
- bec we are the true church, and as intended by god, is undergoing the process of perfection, such as how silver is being purified in the fire to attain, purity.
- ZEC 13:8-9
- But I assure you, I will falsify you anyway…
- You have a zeal but not according to knowledge, you build your own righteousness, you have the spirit of error. I’ll promise to show you how truth stands out from error.)
Eli Soriano and the “Spirit of Prophecy”
In the beginning of his article, Eli Soriano is attempting to put some credibility on his position as a preacher since he claims to be a prophet by applying the “Spirit of Prophecy” to his mission. He wrote:
“the spirit of prophecy is the testimony of Jesus
(Revelation 19:10). And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren that have a testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy (Soriano’s emphasis)
To whom a prophecy is being fulfilled, there rest the testimony of Jesus.”
By applying this to him he may not be aware of the fact that according to the context of Revelation, that having the “Spirit of the prophecy” as the “Testimony of Jesus” is the work of the prophet, and that is according to the parallel passage in Revelation 22:9 (NIV):
“But he said to me, “Do not do it! I am a fellow-servant with you and with your brothers the prophets and of all who keep the words of this book. Worship God!”
Compare this passage with Revelation 19:10 and see the clear indication that those who have the “Testimony of Jesus” are the “the prophets”.
“Do not do it! I am a fellow-servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.” Revelation 19:10.
Therefore, based on the comparison between Revelation 19:10 and 22:9 it is clearly pointed out by the Scriptures that those “brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus” and the “brothers the prophets” are referring to the same people, i.e, the “Prophets”.
- RONALD emphasized that the ones referred to in the verse, the spirit of prophecy is the testimony of jesus, refers to a prophetic mission that exclusively is meant to “Prophets”. He did not expound particularly though which prophets were those, the likeness of mosaic prophets or christian prophets….?
- For the sake of defending the church, I would show you that christian prophets are the ones referred to by that passage.
- First of all, it is a general consensus that Christians have the testimony of Christ thus to whom blessed for it, they have the right to speaks as prophets.
- 1COR 14:5, 31 I WOULD THAT ALL OF YOU PROPHESY…FOR YE MAY ALL PROPHESY…
- Paul said, that he wants all to be prophets, meaning, if given with the gift.
- ROM 12:6 HAVING THEN GIFTS…WHETHER PROPHECY, LET US PROPHESY…
- Who are the gifted?
- 1COR 14:3 HE THAT PROPHESY SPEAK UNTO MEN TO EDIFICATION AND EXHORTATION…
- EDIFICATION implies, teaching in the church.
- EXHORTATION implies, teaching outside the church.
- And all Christians could be prophets provided they are equipped to edify and exhort as their prophetic duty.
- That, for a nearsighted deceiver as obidos cannot fathom but for bro eli, he sure is having the spirit of prophecy likewise with all Christians equipped for that purpose.
- 1PETER3:10-11 IF ANY MAN SPEAK LET HIM SPEAK AS THE ORACLES OF GOD…
- Obviously, bro eli bec he could prophesy suggests that he is a prophet, gifted to be a minister.
- 1PETER 3:10 IF ANY MAN RECEIVED THE GIFT LET HIM MINISTER…AS GOOD STEWARD OF THE MANIFOLD GRACE OF GOD…)
We can now sense the fact that Eli Soriano is actually claiming to be a Prophet in our time. So this is really the right moment to find out whether his claim is true or not. From this article alone, we can easily find out if he is really a true prophet of God or not. Let’s begin our research.
Isaiah 24:15 and the “Philippine Islands”
To begin with, we will study how Eli Soriano handles biblical interpretation. If he is really a true prophet from God we should expect him to handle the Scripture with care. To test his credential let us start with how he interprets the statement in Isaiah 24:15. Here is a quote on Isaiah 24:15 based on New International Version as used in his article:
“Therefore in the east give glory to the LORD; exalt the name of the LORD, the God of Israel, in the islands of the sea.”
Notice how Eli Soriano understood this verse with the usage of other Bible passages to make Isaiah 24:15 as though pointing to him and his group:
“The Philippines (formerly called “Las Islas Filipinas” in honor of King Philip II of Spain), which is a group of Island in the Pacific Ocean, is included in Biblical prophecies.”
“The possibility of this prophecy being fulfilled in the Philippines is 100 percent! Brother Eli and his group are ‘easterners’; and his group is the only congregation in the Philippines that offers the sacrifice of thanksgiving unto the God of Israel — weekly.”
“The Philippines as a nation, and Brother Eli as a citizen of the Philippines, is a fulfillment of this prophecy.”
Is that true? Did Isaiah have in mind the “Las Islas Filipinas” when he prophesied this verse during his time in 8th cent. B.C.?
Eli Soriano also made an emphasis on the word “East” in this verse in order to justify his case that this might be the Philippines since it belongs to the east. Any intelligent reader would realize that what he said is just merely his own opinion.
- YOU ASSUMED it as his opinion basing on your untested self- interpretation of the bible, regardless of your ignorance of the biblical, logical and historical consistency of our stand.)
Why opinion? Because this is just his explanation without any basis at all. Did Eli Soriano showed us any Biblical evidence to back up his claim that the “east” and the “islands of the sea” in Isaiah 24:15 is referring to the Philippines? A BIG NO!
That’s why I wonder how his followers would always introduce him as the “most sensible preacher” while here he is talking non-sense at all.
- EAT YOUR WORDS AFTER ILL PROVE TO YOU LATER HOW EAST AND ISLES OF THE SEA REFERS TO PHILIPPINES…)
The big question is, where did he get this idea? Well, if you are unaware yet, this is the right time to know where he borrowed this interpretation. Believe it or not, he inherited it from his worst and bitterest enemy, the Iglesia ni Cristo (1914) of Felix Manalo!
I will give you a little bit of history. Eli Soriano was brought up with the “Iglesia ng Diyos” founded by Mr. Nicolas Perez in 1936. His article mentioned above also says:
“Brother Eli came from among the group he leads. He was never a Catholic, a Protestant, nor a member of any other religious group but the Church of God first preached in the Philippines by Brother Nicholas Perez.”
Who then is this Brother Nicholas Perez? What is his background that could influence Eli Soriano in his beliefs? Nicholas Antiporda Perez was a former Iglesia ni Cristo (1914) minister from 1923-1928.
The Origin of Eli Soriano’s Interpretation of Isaiah 24:15
One of the foundational teachings of the INC(1914) since the time of its inception is in the prophecies regarding the call of Felix Manalo as the true messenger of God in the Philippines. And one of these foundational prophecies they always use is Isaiah 24:15. Let us read from the official publication of the I.N.C. (1914), the “Pasugo”:
“In the “Isles of the Sea” in the East- “Wherefore glorify ye Jehovah in the EAST, even the name of Jehovah, the God of Israel, in the ISLES OF THE SEA.” (Isa. 24:15 R.V.) “The “Isles of the Sea” in the Far East are a group of more than 7,000 islands, now known as the ‘PHILIPPINE ISLANDS.’ Their geographical position is confirmed by BOAK, SLOSSON and ANDERSON in their book – World History – on page 445: “The Philippines were Spain’s share of the first colonizing movement in the Far East.”
Now you know the origin of Eli Soriano’s interpretation of Isaiah 24:15! It is not from the Bible but confirmed only from the book named as WORLD HISTORY by BOAK, SLOSSON and ANDERSON! This is a very clear revelation that Eli Soriano is in fact a Prophet or Spokesman of BOAK, SLOSSON and ANDERSON and not to mention the I.N.C.(1914), and NOT OF GOD! Therefore, Eli Soriano is a PROPAGATOR of Felix Manalo!
- FOOLISH ASSUMPTION. The mere fact that you invent something and claiming it as true is a mark of a liar. Your claim of “careful analysis” on our doctrines backfired on you by accusing us that the origin of our doctrine is INC, BOAK SLOSSON AND ANDERSON…its perjury!
- CAN YOU READ THE HEART AND INTENTION OF MAN TO ACCUSE HIM OF ADOPTING DOCTRINE OTHER THAN WHAT HE UNDERSTAND AS TRUE?
- let me falsify your notion though.
- INC, BOAK, SLOSSON, AND UNDERSON refers to Philippines as far east, basing it on man made geographical features.
- Biblically, that is unacceptable.
- Bec the point of reference for that geographical map is Europe, making Philippines to be in fareast whereas , biblically, the point of reference is Jerusalem making Philippines to be in the south east.
- JERUSALEM AS REFERENCE POINT OF BIBLICAL DIRECTIONS.
- EZEKIEL 5:5 JERUSALEM AS THE CENTER OF THE WORLD…
- DO YOU THINK, THE ORIGIN OF OUR DOCTRINE IS NOT FROM GOD, BUT BORROWED SOMEWHERE?
- How did you possibly know intention?)
I do not question the fact that Philippines as a Christian nation has a place in the Kingdom of God. There is no doubt about it. God has many children here in the Philippines a truly born again people who were saved by His grace through faith.
“For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people.” (Titus 2:11 ESV) “He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.”(1John 2:2 ESV)
And that I believe includes the Filipino people in the Philippine Islands. Because salvation is for everyone. What I’m questioning about is the irresponsible handling of the Scriptures by Eli Soriano to the point of twisting its real intention or meaning without considering the contexts or its background. With this strategy we are not glorifying God even if we claim we are doing it for the glory of God like what Eli Soriano is claiming. His sincerity is not enough. It doesn’t make wrong things true. What is important is accuracy of knowledge just like what Paul said in Romans 10:3 NIV:
“For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge.”
I do not doubt Eli Soriano’s love for the Filipino people when it comes to salvation of their souls. I know how a Filipino preacher like me feels when I gain an assurance from the Bible that even we Asians could have been mentioned even in the Bible prophecies. But this is subjective and dangerous. This is not anymore an exegesis (reading OUT of the text) but an eisegesis (reading INTO the text) which is a fallacy in science of Bible interpretation. What Eli Soriano did is an eisegesis. He is reading INTO the text which is not really there.
- ILL DISPROVE YOU, PROMISE!)
What then is the real meaning of Isaiah 24:15?
We need to do the exegesis (reading OUT of the text) in Isaiah 24:15 in order to arrive at a proper interpretation. Let the Bible speak for itself!
The “east” and “Isles of the sea” According to the Biblical Context:
Most scholarly Bible commentaries agreed that the phrase “Islands of the Sea” in Isaiah 24:15 refers to the Mediterranean Sea west of Israel. Adam Clarke comments that the phrase “Isles of the sea” is “chiefly applied to any distant countries, especially those lying on the Mediterranean Sea.” Keil and Delitzsch gave a scholarly remark: “The ground and subject of the rejoicing is “the majesty of Jehovah,” i.e., the fact that Jehovah had shown Himself so majestic in judgment and mercy (Isa. 12:5, 6), and was now so manifest in His glory (Isa. 2:11, 17). Therefore rejoicing was heard “from the sea” (the Mediterranean), by which the abode of the congregation of Jehovah was washed.
Turning in that direction, it had the islands and coast lands of the European West in front (iyyi hayyâm; the only other passage in which this occurs is Isa. 11:11, cf., Ezek. 26:18), and at its back the lands of the Asiatic East, which are called ’urim, the lands of light, i.e., of the sun-rising.”
From the scholarly point of view without any bias but only objective reasoning, the “east” and the “isles of the sea” referred to in Isaiah 24:15 are referring to two different locations not just one like what Eli Soriano would like us to think.
It is clear from studies above that the “Isles of the Sea” refers to the European West not the Philippine Islands!
In fact, there are few scholars who questions the use of “east” in that verse for in Hebrew text the word used is “urim” usually translated “lights” or “fires” in some English translations.
- MOST OFTEN, misguided preachers lacking biblical support for their claims utilize the biblically deficient words of scholars as basis of their stand as though scholars are authority of truth, regardless of zero biblical connection of their words.
- One of such trusting them is pastor obidos.
- HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT ISLES OF THE SEA IS THE EUROPEAN WEST OR THE SEA AS THE MEDITERANEAN?
- DID IT SAY?
- HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT ISLES OF THE SEA SPEAKS OF TWO DIRECTIONS, EUROPEAN WEST AND ASIATIC EAST?
- Where is the confirmatory context to connect these?
- Without it, yours is just hypothetical guess whereas, bro eli has the sufficient validation.)
For example, in King James Version, a translation I believed Eli Soriano use most of the time in his Bible expositions, it uses “fires” rather than “east”: “Wherefore glorify ye the LORD in the fires, even the name of the LORD God of Israel in the isles of the sea.” (Isa 24:15 KJV)
No wonder why Eli Soriano used the NIV translation for Isaiah 24:15 in his article rather than his favorite KJV because it serves his tastes and do him a favor.
- OBIDOS, by using the tactics of guessing saying eli preferred NIV than KJV you failed as a credible witness, or worst, you failed as credible prudent defender.
- FOR YOUR INFO, HE USED KJV.
- STRONGS CONCORDANCE of kjv defined the Hebrew word as light, fire and east as the region of light.
- Light and fire if preferred lacks contextual meaning if used for the verse, the most logical is therefore, EAST AS THE REGION OF LIGHT…)
The “earth” According to the Biblical Context:
Another point we need to consider is the term “earth” mentioned in the whole chapter of Isaiah 24. It occurs about 16 times in the NIV translation. In the original Hebrew, the word translated “earth” here should be rendered more accurately as “land”.
The more usual meaning of הארץ “the earth” in Isaiah is of a particular territory or space in which someone lives or over which someone reigns. In the Near East, for Israel, “the land” was essentially the territory that faced the eastern Mediterranean Sea. This included Palestine/Syria and the wings in Mesopotamia in the northeast and Egypt/Ethiopia in the south. In that setting “the land,” “the world,” and “civilization” were terms that were much nearer to each other than the three terms would be today. They all meant in that time the area of Palestine-Syria and Mesopotamia and Egypt.
Therefore, for translations (RSV, NIV, and others) to render הארץ as “the earth” in chaps. 24–27 when they had rendered it “the land” in previous chapters confuses the issue. This means that the devastation, destruction, and shaking described in these chapters involves Palestine, Syria, Mesopotamia, and Egypt. This was the world from Jerusalem’s perspective. In this sense “the land” was particularly Israel’s land.
- I AGREE EARTH SPEAKS OF ISRAEL but the clause “isles of the sea” where there is glorying of god speaks elsewhere as israel is not isles…)
I challenge Eli Soriano and his church to produce any scholarly Bible commentary that supports their contention that the “Islands of the sea” in the book of Isaiah is in any way refers to the “Philippine Islands”. If there is silence on this then it means they accept their mistakes and there’s no need for public apology since most of the people will already understand it.
- NOW THAT IS BETTER. ASK AND LEARN FIRST BEFORE CONCLUSION. SADLY, YOU ALREADY CONCLUDED.)
Something Special in the “Isles of the Sea”?
There is nothing special here about the “east” or “isles of the sea” like what Eli Soriano and the INC(1914) would want us to believe, because in the preceding verse 14 it also mentioned about the direction from the “west”. If Eli Soriano thinks there is something special with the “east” why not in the “west” as well?
- I WILL SHOW YOU. )
Without considering the biblical geographical center we can put special meaning in the “west” by claiming that the true religion must be restored somewhere in America or in Europe which I know Eli Soriano is against with, since I remember one time, I heard him talked against the religious organization coming from the white people.
to be continued….
- Now this is our doctrine:
- NO TRUE CHRISTIANITY WOULD EMERGE FROM THE WEST AS COMMENCEMENT POINT, IN THESE PARTICULAR TIME OF THE RE-ESTABLISHMENT OF THE PHYSICALLY DEAD CHURCH.
- IT WOULD BEGIN FROM THE EAST as expressed:
- PSALMS 107:3 AND GATHERED THEM OUT OF THE LANDS FROM THE EAST, AND FROM THE WEST FROM THE NORTH AND FROM THE SOUTH.
- Obviously, the scope of christianity would be worldwide, but could christianity fluorish without a point of beginning?
- Obviously, it has a point of beginning and that as god revealed was the EAST, meaning, east of jerusalem.
- MAL 1:11 FROM “MIZRACH” OF THE SUN UNTO THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN, MY NAME WOULD BE GREAT AMONG THE GENTILES AND IN EVERY PLACE INCENSE WOULD BE OFFERED…
- MIZRACH in the 1890 strongs has a definite meaning as:
- “SUNRISE THAT IS TO SAY, EAST”
- thus that point, is the commencement point wherein, Christianity would develop, that is, EAST WHERE THE SUNRISE IS, it would then, spread from that point towards the west as suggested “unto the going down of the sun”. If the beginning of christianity is FROM THE EAST as suggesting a place, unto the going down of the sun suggests as likewise going to a place, logically, WEST.
- The Hebrew term used is “mabo” meaning, sunset or west.
- These whole glorification of god FROM EAST TO WEST suggests it to happen to gentile lands, then afterwards, to every place.
- WHICH PLACE IN THE EAST?
- ISAIAH 24:15 GLORIFY THE LORD IN THE EAST…IN THE ISLES OF THE SEA…
- WHICH CHURCH IS THAT REFERRED TO?
- ACTS 20:28 FEED THE CHURCH OF GOD WHICH HE PURCHASED WITH HIS BLOOD…
- It would always be called the church of god throughout all generation.
- EPH 3:21 UNTO HIM BE GLORY IN THE CHURCH….THROUGHOUT ALL GENERATION…
- THROUGHOUT ALL GENERATION it would always be called church of god, as by gods will, that his people be called in his name.
- DAN9:19 THY PEOPLE ARE CALLED BY THY NAME..
- THE CHURCH HAS THIS PARTICULAR DISTINCTION:
- 1COR 15:36 (paul said) THOU FOOL (GAGO KA, TANGA KA)
- The church should follow that practice of Paul as doctrine as he say:
- PHIL 3:9 THOSE THINGS WHICH YOU HAVE BOTH LEARNED AND RECEIVED AND HEARD AND SEEN IN ME, DO….
- That is even to the point of saying it appropriately towards a person, so as exemplified by jesus and paul, calling people as child of the devil, hypocrites, serpent, fox etc….which is an example in how we call fools in faith as fools, which in that perspective, we said it appropriately.
- HAVING THAT as premise, let us therefore assess. Firstly, the church is called church of god throughout all generation. It would be re-established logically, from a particular place, and as suggested from isles of the sea, in the place of sunrise, the east of jerusalem, then afterwards go unto the west…having a distinction of using FOOL (GAGO, TANGA) in their speeches as doctrine.
- NOW, LET US SEE, HISTORICALLY, TO WHICH THIS WAS FULFILLED.
- Historically, which church called church of god, started from isles of the sea in the east of jerusalem then propagated to the west, having a doctrine of using the word, FOOL (GAGO, TANGA) appropriately in their speeches, than our group?
- NOONE ELSE
- Proving by simple logic, that it speaks of us, thus bec we started in the philippines automatically concluded that the reference of “east” and “isles of the sea” is undoubtedly the philippines.
- ARE WE THE CHURCH OF GOD?
- BY FAITH, WE ARE BUT REGISTERED IN SEC AS MCGI
- Now regarding scholarly bible commentary, you tightly depended from, can you prove, that these are biblically sound, noting that scholars sometimes contradicts or differs together.
- THE CHURCH IS THE FOUNDATION AND PILLAR OF TRUTH
- Should you not consult it, first?
- LOGIC BA, RONALD OBIDOS….?
I send this to Ronald Obidos thru messenger. He promised to respond. He never did.
Lastly, my response were my personal view. Whatever I assumed as church doctrine, if ever incorrect, is not intended to compromise the church. I assumed it for rhetorical effect.